Wednesday 26 November 2014

#PleaseSaveAgricultureNow

Take it or leave it; farming in Nigeria has been largely left in the hands of our village dwellers. Worst still, only the old and very few young folks venture into this legendary career often as a last resort.

Yesterday evening, I had a one-on-one discussion with a young farmer friend and when I said I'm proud to be a farmer, he spatted "God forbid! I rebuke it for you" before I could utter a word from my surprise cum laughter ridden ajar lips, he added this amazing prayer "You'll never be so reduced as coming down to the village to farm". Issokay!

Later that evening another friend whose first farm experience was a stereotyped compulsory university practical course could not hold her disdain to herself when I told her farming is a constituent of my daily activities. All my attempts to make her understand that farming is not really bad got this polite "whatever" conclusion: "you may like farming but I don't like it AT ALL".

If you ask my candid opinion, I'll justify these my friends' reactions oh. You know why? Fine!
#Status
A farmer by Nigerians' standard, is a poor and dirty village man who produces crops. Those into animal production are rarely seen as farmers. The mental picture of a farmer that has been thus far drawn is demeaning and unattractive. They've been stigmatised far more than any other occupation (only teachers can boast to be anywhere near farmers' social status).
#Technicality
No other occupation is as demanding as farming. None other requires hard work as much too. God help you if you're into non-mechanised system of farming!
#Income
*On Monday, my mum wanted to go to the market with ten very big tubers of yam so I asked "Mma, how much do you intend to sell these?" She said "N3000 hopefully". She later sold it for N2500.
*A basin of Garri goes for N800!
I would have loved to give more instances of ridiculous food prices but let's restrict it to these two.
#Prospect
The only known occupation with the day of death of a worker as its official retirement day is farming. Nigerian farmers do not retire. There is therefore no such thing as pension. Insurance cover is more than just a luxury.

These been said, who will in his right state of mind venture into farming? Who will wish friend or family such an occupation? Who would be proud to be associated with such a low classed occupation?

But wait oh, I was told Nigeria's economy once thrived on Agriculture. Whatever happened to the cocoa plantations? Why exactly has the groundnut pyramid turn to cups and bags of groundnut? Tell me, where was the yam barns relocated to? Should I assume our palm trees were felled for their fronds? (our party members must hold brooms now). Has the cattle, goats, sheep, chicken gone wild and to the forests return? Where [I pray] can I find the mules, donkeys, oxen and the sorts?

Why has the pride of owning a small/large parcel of farmland evaporated to? Where is the honour of a husbandman whose glory is in his flock? How did the joy and savour of being a farmer go this sour? Where did we get it wrong?

Subsequent government administrations have highly rated the importance of agriculture. Economic experts are of the opinion that Agricultural sector is better able to generate revenue for the country if properly harnessed than any other sector. Nature has favourably and freely thrown itself to us with readiness to cooperate with our agricultural practices...

to be concluded later.

No comments:

Post a Comment